Friday, January 18, 2008

Just some extras-

Hello Everyone, this is Shelby. Mum posted earlier this week but forgot a couple things so I'll write them now.
I have the honor of tell a gross story about Lorie, a little payback.:) All in good fun. Mum and I were coming around a corner in service, and there was a big tree, or teke in Krio, and Mum felt something hit her. She thought it was maybe gird dropping 'cause it was all slimy and sort of watery, but no it was a dead mouse with half its head chewed off. Something was caring it up in to the tree and dropped it right on Mum when we walked by, we did not get to see what did it though. It did make for an interesting afternoon and a good laugh for me, after what had happened with the fly.
I was in service on Sunday after the meeting with Isha, one of the girls up stairs, I started talking to this lady and her husband, when this man comes over. He starts saying that they shouldn't listen to me because I am white and he has travel to England and America and that he was put down by whites. My reply was "I no JC visitor come so so, I am a resident, dis me own home." He was taken back at my Krio, I told him that I lived here not a tourist. He said "You live here, please talk to them. You listen to her." He told the couple and he pulled up a bench for Isha and I, unfortunately he didn't stay, but the couple is a very nice return visit now.:)
We finally learned where the word 'Opatoe'(I don't know the actual spelling.:)) comes from. It is a Temne word, and when the first sailors landed in Freetown at the time Temne territory, they were from Opatoe, Portugal. So when they were trying to tell the Temne "We are from Opatoe" in just over time came to be in the Temne language that Opatoe means a white person.
There was a funny point that Br. William S. made in his talk, it was on how to use our time wisely in the field ministry. He said,"The past is history, the future is a mystery and today is a gift. That is why it is called the present." Everyone laughed. I really thought that you all would like to share in the humor. He was talking about how we can't rewind time and it won't stop so how are we using our time in the ministry. It was a really nice part. He said "We all have 86,400 seconds in each day how will we use each one of those 86,400 seconds?" It is really something to think about.
Well that's all for now. They are just some small extras Mum had forgotten on Tuesday. You are all in our thoughts and prayers.
Warm Christian love,
Shelby.

No comments: